WSPS offers technical consulting services in five critical areas: occupational hygiene, ergonomics, safeguarding, warehouse safety, and the Health and Safety Manual, which is a customized health and safety document, intended to assist your firm in creating a more formal safety program in your workplace.
These areas are vital components of WSPS's mission to improve the quality of life in workplaces and communities. Our consultants use WSPS's unique consulting approach to consider each case individually, providing recommendations based on industry requirements such as CSA codes and legislated standards, and working with you to implement solutions.
The services we offer include:
- Detailed workstation/work environment assessments
- Comprehensive hazard assessment reports and recommendations
- Assistance in delivering systematic, written health and safety program procedures
- Customized on-site training
- Customized services to address unique health and safety needs
- Machine guarding assessments
- Ergonomic assessments
- Warehouse assessments
- Occupational hygiene assessments
To take advantage of our technical consulting services, call WSPS at 1-877-494-WSPS (9777) or 905-614-1400. You will be placed in contact with a consultant who will guide you through a preliminary discussion to help ascertain your specific health and safety needs.
Occupational hygiene is the science of anticipating, recognizing, assessing and controlling chemical, physical or biological agents before they adversely affect employees' health and safety.
- Chemical agents - gases, dusts, mists, fumes, vapours
- Physical agents - noise, radiation, vibration, extreme temperature
- Biological agents - moulds
While some signs of an occupational hygiene problem are immediately apparent – the dizzying smell of solvent vapours, a burning sensation from contact with a certain chemical, ringing in the ears after prolonged exposure to loud noise – common symptoms such as frequent headaches, eye/throat irritation and fatigue can also signal a health hazard. Left unchecked, overexposure to harmful agents can lead to more severe problems such as respiratory conditions, skin diseases and hearing loss.
Consulting and Assessments
The credentials of our occupational hygienists include Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), recognized worldwide, Registered Occupational Hygienist (ROH), the Canada-wide designation in occupational hygiene, and Professional Engineer (P.Eng), recognizing competency in the engineering field. Each professional has met the high level of competency by each of the certifying bodies, and continues to maintain his or her calibre of expertise in his or her respective field.
Whatever your exposure concerns are, let us help you recognize, assess and help control hazards to make your workplace healthier.
Technical consulting services include:
- Confined space evaluations
- Air quality sampling (indoor air quality)
- Designated substance assessments (e.g. lead, silica and isocyanates)
- Chemical substance assessments (e.g. solvents, welding fumes, metalworking fluid and metal/wood dust)
- Noise level surveys (including basic noise mapping and dose level monitoring)
- Heat exposure measurements
WSPS can also develop customized courses and on-site training materials to address the specific technical needs of your organization. Topics include:
- Flammable solvents
- Heat stress
- Confined space
- Chemical exposure
- Air sampling
- Metalworking fluids
- Workplace health
- Indoor air quality
- … and more.
Book a free initial field visit to review your employees' exposure status with our experts. For more information on how WSPS's Occupational Hygiene Consulting Services can benefit your organization, call 1-877-494-WSPS (9777) or 905-614-1400.
Overexertion and musculoskeletal disorders (MSD) involve strains and sprains of muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints or nerves. These usually occur over time due to repeated exposure to certain risk factors. Sprains and strains account for over 40% of all lost-time injuries in Ontario. The main goal of ergonomics is to reduce the risk of these injuries by matching demands of the job to the abilities of the employee through the proper design of workstations, tools, environment, work schedules, policies and procedures.
Ergonomic improvements are often associated with improved productivity, quality and morale, greatly increasing your return on investment in health and safety. WSPS can assist you with implementing an ergonomics program. We also offer ergonomics training, consulting and assessments. Our ergonomic specialists work with you and your staff to identify the most effective ways to improve your employees' work environments and implement ergonomic solutions.
Consulting, Assessment and Training
The key to preventing and controlling injuries is applying ergonomic principles to your workplace. Our specialists can assist you with:
- Ergonomics assessments: office and industrial
- Physical demands analysis (PDAs)
- Job task analysis
- Manual material handling
To arrange for an WSPS consultant to visit your workplace today, call 1-877-494-WSPS (9777) or 905-614-1400.
Each year in Ontario, there are about 3,000* workplace injuries involving machinery. Safeguarding is a way to protect workers from the hazards associated with machines. Safeguarding is achieved by physically restricting access to hazards or by stopping a machine's moving part before contact is made. Safeguarding often includes the use of barriers, fixed guards, manual pull-backs, pressure-sensitive protective devices or active opto-electronic protective devices (AOPDs), as well as other means.
Consulting, Assessment and Training
Our safeguarding specialists will work with you to:
- Identify the various tasks
- Identify and analyze the hazards associated with each task
- Evaluate the risks associated with each hazard
- Discuss safeguarding control measures to mitigate these risks
In addition, WSPS offers training in safeguarding:
- Lockout (1/2 day)
- Conveyor Safety (1/2 day)
- Safeguarding of Machinery - CSA Standard Z432-04
- Power Press Safeguarding - CSA Standard Z142-10
and robotic safety training that:
- Discusses the CSA 434 Standard on Robotic Safety
- Is offered on-site
- Is relevant for any employer that uses robots on the plant/shop floor
*Workplace Safety & Insurance Board
Statistical Supplement to the 2010 Annual Report
We can also provide customized training programs targeted to the specific needs of your company. For more information on how WSPS's safeguarding services can benefit your organization, call 1-877-494-WSPS (9777) or 905-614-1400.
In 2009 over 2.4% of all lost-time injuries in Ontario involved skids, racks, and industrial vehicles*. Between 2006 and 2010, three Ontario workers died and 45 others received serious injuries involving racking and storage**.
WSPS offers a variety of solutions to help your supervisors get up-to-speed on what they need to know to work safely in a warehouse.
We offer awareness sessions on:
- Loading dock safety
- Overview of basic concepts related to the inspection of steel storage racks
- Manual material handling
Our classroom training includes:
*AWCBC National Work Injury, Disease and Fatality Statistics 2007-2009
- Warehouse Hazards from A to Z
- Inspecting and Maintaining Steel Storage Racks
- Lift Truck Operators' Safety Training
- Crane, Hoist and Rigging Safety
**Ministry of Labour Data - www.labour.gov.on.ca
We can also provide customized training programs targeted to the specific needs of your company. For more information on how WSPS's warehousing services can benefit your organization, call 1-877-494-WSPS (9777) or 905-614-1400.
Health and Safety Manual
The development of a health and safety system is critical in establishing a solid foundation for injury and illness prevention. WSPS can help by providing a service that starts with an on-site, comprehensive hazard assessment and then developing a customized health and safety manual that helps you meet stringent Workwell and applicable legislative requirements.
WSPS's Health and Safety Manual is a complete set of customized health and safety policies, procedures and tools, as well as a framework for implementation designed to meet your specific needs. This service helps you free up valuable resources to allow you to focus on your core business.
Key features of the manual include:
- Worksite-specific roles and responsibilities, policies and procedures for staff to safely carry out their work
- Work-site specific hazard assessment to identify significant hazards, including workplace violence and harassment
- Safe operating procedures for key work processes and equipment
- Program elements to meet applicable legislation and WSIB Workwell requirements Easy-to-use tools, templates and forms
The value to you:
- Corporate documentation and diligence in the event of an injury by meeting legislative requirements
- Consistency of policy and procedures across the organization
- Sustainable management system as legislative requirements change
- Paper and electronic copy allows you to make revisions, additions and enhancements as your company expands and grows
- Consultation with a health and safety consultant to support the implementation of the manual
Developed by experienced health and safety professionals, the implementation of a health and safety manual supports your efforts to eliminate workplace injuries and illness. For additional information about the Health and Safety Manual contact us at 1-877-494-WSPS (9777) or 905-614-1400.