WSPS Received MOL Approval for New JHSC Certification Training Solutions
New Ministry of Labour (MOL) training standards for Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) Certification training took effect on March 1, 2016 and Ontario companies with 20 or more employees are impacted.
Workplace Safety & Prevention Services (WSPS) has been approved by the Ministry of Labour (MOL) to provide Part One and Part Two JHSC Certification Training under the new standards. And now, we are approved to provide JHSC Certification Refresher Training, too.
- If you were granted certification status under the old standards you do not require re-certification. Your certification status does not expire and you are considered certified for life. In addition, your certification is portable across workplaces or sectors.
- If you were granted certification status under the new standards, you will require refresher training every 3 years to maintain your certification status. As above, your certification is portable across workplaces or sectors.
Under the new standards:
- Part One, Part Two & Refresher must be taken from a MOL approved trainer.
- Part One and Part Two must be completed within 6 months of each other
- Refresher Training must be taken every 3 years to maintain certification status,
- Part One is a minimum of 3 days & Part Two is a minimum of 2 days. Refresher training is 1 day (6.5 hours).
Why these changes are being made
The Ministry of Labour is revising the standards to strengthen the common, consistent, foundational training requirements and to ensure high quality and consistent delivery of approved JHSC certification training programs.
However, Certification Refresher Training is not only for those certified under the new standards. Anyone certified under the old standards, or those who have not completed Part Two within 6 months of completing Part One may take the refresher training or Part One again, prior to taking Part Two.
WSPS offers Certification Training - Part One, Part Two and Refresher - under the new standards in classrooms throughout Ontario and can accommodate busy schedules with flexible onsite sessions - any shift, including weeknights and weekends - an ideal option for group training.
To discuss your training options, contact Workplace Safety & Prevention Services at 1-877-494-WSPS (9777) ext. 0.
If you have concerns regarding the requirements of the new standards, contact the Ministry of Labour at 1-877-202-0008.